Everyone loves the fancy marketing stuff. Die-cut brochures. Lumpy mailers. Flashy websites. Like fancy football plays, fancy marketing is exciting when it works! That Hail Mary play might save the game, but it probably wouldn’t be necessary if you had strong blocking and tackling. Games and business are primarily won by having sound fundamental strategy, beautifully executed.
In an effort to stay up with trends in online marketing, sometimes basic website fundamentals are neglected. You might be popular on Twitter, but without a website designed to attract and capture leads, and boost your position in the search engines, it’s unlikely that your online marketing efforts are going to be successful at driving business. Whether you meet people on Twitter or at an industry event, people are going to check out your website. 5 Fundamentals of Online Marketing:
- Get to the top. Take advantage of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategies so you are the first to show up when searched.
- First impressions are important. Your website should accurately reflect your business at first glance. It should also be easy to navigate so that a first-timer can easily figure out what you are offering and why he or she wants it.
- You have to give a little to get a little. To keep your audience coming back, you must continuously supply your audience with something of value to them. If you come across too pushy, your audience may get the idea that you don’t have their best interest at heart.
- Engage your audience. Providing information doesn’t need to be a boring wall of text. Make sure to add pictures and videos to better capture your audience.
- Be available. Make it easy for your audience to contact you and do business with you. Sometimes it’s not the best provider that wins, but the one that makes it easy. Today’s buyers are busy!
If you are struggling to attract business through your website, it’s time to get back to basics! Any other online marketing fundamentals you’d add to this list?