Writing Powerful Website Copy
I attend many small business networking meetings (something I highly recommend to all business owners), and at almost every meeting, someone will ask, “How do I write, you know, powerful website copy?” My response varies (depending on my mood), but usually it’s something along the lines of, “What do you mean by powerful?” The reason I ask this question is that the first step in writing powerful website copy is understanding exactly what “powerful” means.
Unfortunately, problems in communication arise because people often have two different definitions of what things mean. In this case, powerful means something different to everybody. Sure, we all may have similar ideas, but these ideas are not exactly the same, and this is a very important point to consider. So, before providing tips for “writing powerful website copy,” first I will attempt to define what I believe, as a copywriter, this means. (If you have additional criteria for what you believe makes Powerful website copy, I encourage you to post a comment and tell us about it!)
So, What is Powerful Website Copy?
- Powerful website copy instantly engages a reader. It catches their attention immediately, and keeps them on the web page.
- Powerful website copy keeps a reader’s attention all the way through.
- Powerful website copy appeals to the needs of the reader. It always highlights the benefit to the buyer, not the seller.
- Powerful website copy makes it easy for a reader to find the information they’re looking for.
- Powerful website copy always includes a call to action and invites the reader to participate or interact with the business (i.e. make a phone call, register an email address, fill out a form).
- Powerful website copy helps organically optimize a website’s page by seamlessly including key words and phrases that are commonly used on internet search engines.
Now that we’re on the same page (pun…intended), there are several things that can be done to help meet each of the criteria set above. Let’s take a look, one-by-one.