Social media is just ONE tool in the metaphoric marketing toolbelt – one that everyone is trying to make sense of right now. So even though we do a lot of work training companies on how to use social media, it’s because social media new and it’s changing the marketing game. Smart businesses need to start paying attention to social media marketing – but not at the expense of everything else. I don’t want my customers or my readers to forget about the basic blocking and tackling of marketing, like:
- Do you know who your ideal customer is?
- Do you have a way to communicate with them?
- Are you able to articulate your differentiation?
- Are you marketing consistently?
- Is your material educational, persuasive and smart?
- Do you make it easy for people to do business with you?
- Do you provide good products and services?
Marketing has never been about doing “one thing” right. I hate to tell you this, but there is no magic bullet that will transform your business overnight. Marketing is about doing lots of things right, learning from everything you do, and marketing your business consistently and professionally. Yes, you probably should have social media as part of your mix. But I just don’t want you thinking that social media is the end-all be-all of marketing. Social media is a phenomenal way to market your business – it’s only effective when you already know who your ideal customer is and how you are differentiated from your competition. Otherwise, you’re just another droning voice in the cacophony of the social media marketing space.